Best for those who are new to the system; the quick Character guide is meant to be a fun and friendly way to get started right away. Simply follow the instructions below and submit them via PM to the Emerald City Story Teller (that's me). Don't worry, you may "upgrade" to an advanced character at any time.
01. Choose a Shadow Name: Names have power, and most mages seek to keep their real identities a secret. Because of this, mages will adopt a "Shadow Name" or alias that they use in magical society.
02. Write a Description: One of the best things about this particular setting is that nearly any character concept can be realized. The best place to start is by imagining what you want and then going forward from there. When you write your character description, include their appearance, personality, and background information.
03. Select Primary Attribute: Attributes represent your “natural” abilities. They are divided into Mental, Physical, and Social. Choose one of these to be your primary Attribute. You primary attribute represents what you are best at and you general approach to solving problems.
04. Join a Magical Order: The Order to which your mage belongs defines their place within magical society. Your order provides you with allies and objectives.
- Adamant Arrow: Brave, Seeks Security
- Mysterium: Curious, Seeks Knowledge
- Guardians of The Veil: Secretive, Seeks Balance
- Silver Ladder: Ambitious, Seeks Greatness
- Free Council: Creative, Seeks Innovation
- Apostate: Belonging to no order, a free agent.
05. Select Arcana: Arguably the most important part of character creation. Your Arcana represent the spheres of reality over which your mage holds sway. By selecting these you are effectively choosing what KIND of mage you are. Necromancer? Psychic? Techno-path? They can be mixed and matched to create innumerable effects. Want to hurl lightning bolts? Choose Forces. Are you a healer? Better pick up Life magic. There are 10 different Arcana (listed below). Choose three of these at character creation and rank them Primary, Secondary, and Minor. Primary is your strongest Arcana, followed by secondary and minor respectively. For more information about how magic works check out the (MAGIC GUIDE).
- Death: Undead, Shadows, Decay, Fear, Travel to The Underworld
- Fate: Luck, Destiny, Curses, Oaths, Probability
- Forces: Light, Heat, Sound, Energy, Telekinesis
- Life: Animals, Plants, Healing, Transformation, Body Control
- Matter: Liquids, Solids, Gas, Transmutation, Physical Qualities
- Mind: Emotions, Dreams, Memory, Telepathy, Mind Control
- Prime: Mana, Magic Items, Counter Spells, Dispelling, Ley-lines
- Space: Portals, Dimensions, Remote Viewing, Teleportation, Far Casting
- Spirit: Binding, Summoning, Controlling and Excising Spirits. Travel to the Shadow Realm
- Time: Viewing the Past and Future, Accelerating or slowing the passage of time, limited time travel.